While you have several plastic waste solutions to choose from EcoPure® offers some of the best benefits in comparison to other technologies:
- Compostable plastic is designed to biodegrade in commercial composting facilities. EcoPure® is designed to biodegrade in landfill environments where more than 85% of plastics end up.
- Compostable packages are not designed to degrade in landfill environments. Instead, compostable packages are designed to biodegrade under specific conditions (e.g. heat, moisture) that are only achieved at commercial composting facilities. These facilities are not available in many locations.
- Oxo-degradable plastics require oxygen and UV light to biodegrade—two things not found in landfills. EcoPure® plastics are designed to biodegrade in both aerobic & anaerobic environments, like landfills.
- Oxo-degradable plastics cannot be used with all common packaging plastics. EcoPure® can be added to just about any type of plastic.
- Oxo-degradable plastics can leave behind harmful byproducts, EcoPure® treated plastics break down completely, forming inert biomass and can generate clean energy.
EcoPure® is different because it is designed to allow plastic to biodegrade in landfill environments rich with microbes but lacking oxygen and UV light. Plastics made with EcoPure® are biodegradable* in both aerobic and anaerobic environments, making them ideal for landfills, where most plastics are discarded.
*Biodegradation rates of EcoPure®-treated plastic materials measured according to the ASTM D5511 test method. Tests are generally conducted using 20% to 30% solids content; solids content in naturally wetter landfills range from 55% to 65%, while the driest landfills may reach 93%. Actual biodegradation rates will vary in biologically-active landfills according to the type of plastic used, the product configuration, and the solid content, temperature and moisture levels of the landfill.