Landfill environments are filled with specific microbes and enzymes adapted to break down trash, landfills have been the standard solution for solid waste disposal for years.
Now, landfills are being overloaded with plastic products that can take hundreds of years or more to biodegrade.
Consider the lifespan of these popular plastic products:
- Plastic Water Bottle - 450 years
- Disposable Diapers - 500 years
- Plastic 6-Pack Collar - 450 Years
- Extruded Polystyrene Foam - over 5,000 years
Flexible, resilient, and durable – plastics have facilitated innovation and convenience in almost every area of American life. From our medical supplies to our food storage containers, plastic is a commonplace and inexpensive solution for many Americans. But, plastic is not without its flaws. Strong polymers in plastic are extremely resistant to natural biodegradation processes. This means that traditional plastic products can persist in landfills for hundreds of years, if not indefinitely.
EcoPure® is a proven, organic way to accelerate the biodegradation* process of treated plastic waste. The additive is only activated in a landfill environment, enabling your customers to enjoy full use of their plastic products before disposal.
* Biodegradation rates of EcoPure®-treated plastic materials measured according to the ASTM D5511 test method. Tests are generally conducted using 20% to 30% solids content; solids content in naturally wetter landfills range from 55% to 65%, while the driest landfills may reach 93%. Actual biodegradation rates will vary in biologically-active landfills according to the type of plastic used, the product configuration, and the solid content, temperature and moisture levels of the landfill.